Scam calls have been a rising problem for many years and can be particularly concerning on a mobile phone. Scam calls can be from an unknown number like the example of 2136396511, pretending to be from a legitimate company in order to gain access to your personal information and scam you out of money. This article will discuss the steps you can take to protect yourself when receiving a scam call on your mobile, as well as provide tips for avoiding scam calls in the future.
What is a Scam Call?
A scam call is a type of phone call where the caller attempts to deceive the person they are calling into giving them money or sharing personal information. Scam calls can be from unknown numbers, or numbers that appear to be from legitimate organizations like banks or government agencies. It is important to be aware of scam calls and the steps you can take to protect yourself.
How Scamers Use Spam Calls
Scammers use spam calls to target unsuspecting victims and scam them out of money. They often use spoofing technology to make the calls appear to be coming from a legitimate organization, such as a bank or government agency, in order to more easily convince the victim to give out their personal information. In some cases, they may even threaten the victim with criminal charges if they do not comply.
It is important to be aware of the signs of a scam call and never give out any personal information or money to anyone over the phone.
What Should You Do If You Receive A Scam Call?
If you receive a scam call on your mobile, there are a few steps you should take to protect yourself.
- Do not share your personal information: Do not give out any of your personal information, including names, addresses, phone numbers, credit card numbers, or bank account information. If a caller insists on this information, hang up.
- Do not be pressured by the caller: Do not be pressured into making any decisions or giving out any information. Scam callers may be persistent, so it is important to stay firm and not give in to them.
- Hang up: Hang up the phone if you believe the caller is a scammer, and delete any messages they leave from your phone.
- Report the number: You can report the number to your local police station or the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to help prevent others from being scammed.
How To Avoid Scam Calls
In addition to knowing what to do if you receive a scam call on your mobile, it is important to be aware of ways to avoid them in the first place.
- Do not answer calls from unknown numbers: Do not answer phone calls from numbers you do not recognize. If they leave a voice message, do not call back.
- Use the “do not call” list: Sign up for the “Do Not Call” list, which will help to reduce the amount of calls from telemarketing companies and scammers.
- Use caller identification services: Install a caller identification app on your phone, which will help to identify unknown numbers and allow you to block any scam calls.
- Be aware of signs of a scam call: Be aware of the signs of a scam call, such as the caller asking for personal information or claiming to be from a legitimate organization.
Scam calls can be a nuisance and a safety concern, so it is important to know what to do if you receive a scam call on your mobile. Be aware of ways to avoid scam calls, such as not answering calls from unknown numbers and using caller identification services, as well as what to do if you receive a scam call, like hanging up and reporting the number. By being aware of scam calls and taking the proper steps to protect yourself, you can help to make sure you do not become a victim.